Monday, March 11, 2013

Walking with Lions!!

 photo 11WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
Recently I walked with lions in Gweru, Zimbabwe!!

 photo 12WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
That's right. You heard me. I walked with lions.

 photo 13WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
And it was awesome.

 photo 14WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
These beautiful 6 month old lion cubs were my company for the afternoon.

Here's how close they walk to you (I didn't zoom for the shot!):



 photo 15WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
This makes me laugh. Of course these two Zimbabweans aren't paying attention to the lions right next to them.
They're checking their cell phones.

 photo 16WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
Okay, I admit it.  They were adorable and playful and so cute,

 photo 17WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
but there was a clear moment of being terrified just prior to start walking with them.

 photo 18WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
Just like children, the cubs paused at every sound and every noise, wanting to investigate everything.

Aren't they cute:



 photo 19WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg

 photo 191WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
I got to pet them!  So cool.  I was surprised to learn their hair is course and not soft like you'd expect.

 photo 192WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg
I was very relieved to learn that we were walking with 6 month old cubs; the 23 month old (waist high!!) cubs had been retired two days prior.
For someone who's not exactly an animal person, and had to talk myself into this afternoon walk, it was a welcome turn of events.

 photo 193WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg

 photo 194WwLions-tiaphotoblog.jpg


For more information on where I had this little adventure, check out Antelope Park!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover